– 5 cup Dashi, (or light chicken or beef stock)
– 1 tsp Salt
– 1/2 tsp Light soy sauce
– Splash sake’
– 2 tsp Cornstarch mixed w/ 2 T. water
– 2 lrg Eggs, beaten
– 1/2 tsp Fresh ginger juice
– Finely chopped lemon rind or green onion
– 4 stalk trefoil (mitsuba) OR SUBSTITUTE following, cut into 1″ lengths
– 1 sprg either watercress or parboiled fresh, spinach
– With the heat on low, stir in the cornstarch-and-water mixture. Stir for 30 seconds or so till thick and smooth and raise heat to bring the soup to a high simmer. Never let it boil.
– Slowly pour a thin stream of beaten egg in a spiral over the entire surface of the soup. Do not stir immediately, but let the egg start to set, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir soup gently and constantly with a wire whisk for another minute or so to allow the egg to separate into threadlike filaments.
– Finally, add the ginger juice and trefoil and remove from heat immediately.
– Pour into individual soup bowls, garnishing each with a bit of trefoil from the soup. Serve immediately.